Friday, October 18, 2013

Wuthering Heights: More than a just another tragic love story

Good Will Hunting 
Wuthering Heights is seen even today as one of the classic, tragic love stories of all time. With movies such as Titanic, The Notebook, and other contemporary "greats" in the romantic genera (I personally despise most of them) owing their origins or plot lines to this novel, one would assume that the main attraction is the relationships between the romantically involved characters. The love triangle of Heathcliff, Catherine, and Edgar is indeed responsible for the book's success, but on a much deeper level than a doomed and flawed relationship (otherwise Twilight would be considered critically genius). Wuthering Heights, and by extension Bronte, makes a statement about social class, as seen by Catherine's choice to marry Edgar over Heathcliff.

When Catherine is debating whether to commit to Linton or Heathcliff, she surmises that "if Heathcliff and I married, we should be beggars? whereas if I marry Linton, I can aid Heathcliff to rise and place him out of my brother's power," (p. 99). Catherine chooses to marry the rich man, placating her conscious by claiming it is to help Heathcliff; however, Bronte is really stating the struggles of changing social class and the importance of education in social standing. When Heathcliff is denied an education, Hindley is delegating him to the life of a slave, forced to live beneath his would be peers. Bronte stresses the importance of education in social class before it was really an issue in contemporary society, now seen in financial aid by colleges and a cumulative belief in equal opportunity. One of the greatest movies of all time is Good Will Hunting, a story in which Will Hunting (Matt Damon) is an unmotivated janitor at MIT who is a math genius. This movie also explores the role of education in social class. Without spoilers, Will (begrudgingly) attempts to gain an education in order to make something out of his life and maximize his potential. This is contrasted by Ben Affleck's character, who is destined for a life of construction and other menial labor. Both Wuthering Heights and Good Will Hunting explore the social implications surrounding education, but the film captures the emotional tole that is created on the lower class more clearly, in part due to its less antiquated grammar, but also due to the emotional connection formed between Damon, Affleck, and the audience. I don't know if I am cold-hearted or just intolerant of drama, but I find it impossible to empathize or relate to almost all characters in Wuthering Heights, outside of Nelly and the dogs. Good Will Hunting is yet another example of movies capitalizing on its genera specifics to impact its audience, forcing them to encounter these uncomfortable issues in a way that is enjoyable. My question to you is "How big of a role does education play in social class and which art form captures it better?" I will almost always plead film if it is well done, but Wuthering Heights has stuck around for a reason, and I would like to think it isn't due to dreadful Catherine.

5 comments:

  1. I think any given art form could capture it best and that it solely depends on the merit of an individual work (although one form could communicate with a particular reader or viewer better depending on what their preference is).
    I think you're right about the book's success not being due to its main love triangle. In fact, I think it's a mistake to categorize the novel as a romance at all. (Mr. Mullins said it was tongue-in-cheek when he called it "the best romance ever." I completely failed to catch that). If you call it romance, people go into it expecting something other than lots and lots of crazy people, which is what Bronte actually portrays well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my perspective, Heathcliff is a character that I can emphasize with to a large degree. He is a man who has been deprived of his rights as a human and his unrestraint makes him inherently more attractive to me than a person who runs away from his problems like Will. He understands himself despite his overwhelming flaws to put it mildly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I for one do not think that Heathcliff needs emphasizing as he is one of the more extreme characters in the novel, but I do see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite movie is actually Good Will Hunting. Although I see your point, I find that Wuthering Heights perpetuates classical ideals in love and power; I can sympathize with both Hindley and Heathcliff, as well as Edgar. I do agree that Wuthering Heights and Good Will Hunting tailor to a specific audience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wuthering Heights is about social class, but to another extent it is also about race. Heathcliff is darker; it never makes a big deal about this but it is somewhat suspisous that the darker character is the poorer character.
    Also, I disagree that people are not relatable. Most of the characters you disagree with completely, but you do have an understanding of why they do what they do.

    ReplyDelete